Sunday, August 2, 2015

Reflections on Social Media Use in the Classroom

One thing that I would like to focus from this week's readings is how crucial the role of instructors in using and maximizing the potentials of Web 2.0 in teaching-learning activities. I was particularly interested in the article from Seechaliao (2014). It is simply because Thailand is Indonesia's neighboring country, thus it is easier to relate with the situation described in the article. 

I cannot help but imagining myself as one of the lecturers surveyed in the study. I was one of those who was more comfortable with traditional learning. Why? The answer is simply because I did not know which tools I should use and how to utilize it effectively. I did not get any trainings and I was simply clueless on how to use the social media tools effectively in class, particularly in improving collaborative learning. 

In the article, Seechaliao (2014) used Rogers' diffusion of innovation model to explain lecturer's attitude toward the use of social media in teaching-learning process. The findings showed that "lecturers believe that social media is easy to use and saves time and money for online courses; moreover, they find that social media can be a tool for teaching, facilitating collaborative learning, and improving project abilities" (p.158). He also mentioned the results of the study differ from the previous studies, such as Ajjan and Hartshorne (2008), who found that while some faculty members believe Web 2.0 technologies could improve students’ learning, their interaction with faculty and their peers, writing abilities, and satisfaction with the course, few instructors actually choose to use them in the classroom (p.58).  From my experience in lecturing, I think I was closer to the situation described in Ajjan and Hartshorne's study. Some factors that made me hesitate were: Internet connection in the country is not reliable, particularly in campus area. Furthermore, it is rather difficult to change teaching methods that you have been familiar with without proper instructions and guidance. I was afraid I could not achieve the learning objectives. Also, the environment was not conducive, with only a few (if any) lecturers utilized social media in their classroom.

The situation made me think that the innovation might be rejected or adopted (too) slowly. Considering its potentials, I agree with Seechaliao that lecturers should be encouraged in using social media and integrating it in the course design. I was thinking that creating a PLN focusing on this issue might be a good starting point in encouraging other lecturers in using and maximizing the use of social media tools in the classroom. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by Nadia Andayani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.