Sunday, August 2, 2015

Wikipedia...? Yes or No?

I found some interesting posts about Wikipedia this week. One is from shashueme6414: Wikipedia...sucks? and the other one is from Xi's: Academic Attitudes on Wikipedia?

I think the roles of Wikipedia in academic environment creates a never ending debate. I thought I would like to share a study I have conducted in 2012 related to Wikipedia uses among students in Indonesia. It is a qualitative work and the findings are based from my interviews with four students from different universities in Jakarta (the capital), Indonesia. The findings were quite shocking for me. Some points I would like to highlight are: 
  • One of the informants argued that all contents in the internet must be truthful and thus, can be used as academic resources.
  • Another informant stated that Wikipedia is the only ‘academic resources he is aware of.
  • All informants could not differentiate and not knowing what academic resources mean.


Well, all I can say is that digital literacy means a lot in determining how people use and get benefits from the information they are getting online. As a professor, it is heartbreaking for me finding out that college students in Indonesia were so lack behind in terms of internet skills. Where to start? What to do? How? 


(You can find the summary of the study below)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by Nadia Andayani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.